Tuesday, September 27, 2011

It's NOT ok....

On October 6, 2011 I along with a few of my girlfriends will join 1,000 other supporters to climb the steps of 1411 Broadway—a 42-story skyscraper in the heart of Manhattan's Fashion District and Times Square. Why are we doing this? To raise funds to support inMotion, a nonprofit that provides free legal services to battered women and their children. This is our attempt to help battered women & children get the help they need and put us a step in the direction to end domestic violence. The timing of this is perfect as it coincides with our book club book. This month we are reading The End of November by Nicole Sharpe. This is a TRAGIC tale of a women growing up seeing her father abuse her mother & ultimately murdering her and how her life was affected after that. This story hit my hard because it wasn't just a story I was reading. I met her. I stood in her living room and talked to her. And at the time I would have NEVER known everything she had been through.
In my blog and in my business as a passion party consultant I discuss how to keep the romance alive. How to keep things spicy. How to help make a relationship work. BUT none of this is important or necessary if you aren't treated the way you deserve to be treated. NO ONE. Male or female deserves to be physically, mentally or verbally abused. Abuse can take many different forms & no matter how it's packaged it is NEVER ok.
If your mate is physically hurting you please for your own life. End it IMMEDIATELY. Know your worth and never let anyone talk down to you or treat you with any level of disrespect. Because even in the smallest form it's not ok. Let's be strong enough not to fall for the excuse of I was angry. Sorry doesn't make it any better. If you are that mad then you should shut up & walk away. That way you won't have to say I'm sorry later.
As a wife and a mother I am more aware of certain things. And it's no longer about me. It's about my daughter. How I want her to grow up & be treated by whatever man god chooses for her. And although I love my husband very much I will walk away before I allow my child to even THINK it's ok for a man to put his hands on a woman OR speak to her in a disrespectful manner. At this stage in the game it's not something I feel I should discuss. He should just know this. And so should your partner.

Please if you are a victim of domestic violence contact an agency like inMotion and get the help that you & your family need before it's too late.
And for anyone that wants to support our team make it to the top.. Here is the link:
http://storybystory.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=488542&supid=336095016

4 comments:

Brooke said...

Great post, and what a wonderful thing you're doing for women and children who are victims of domestic violence. I'm wishing you much success and will be cheering you on - I wish my donation could have been more for such a great cause. Go Annamaria!

Annamaria said...

Thank you B.. I appreciate that. Even if you donate your time to spreading the link so that others may donate you are still helping a wonderful cause.

Aisha G of HartlynKids said...

Thanks for joining me. It is really an important organization and cause.

Annamaria said...

Thank you Aisha for getting me involved. I must say Aisha (www.hartlynkids.com) have inspired me to be a better person. And I appreciate you my sister..