Thursday, September 22, 2011

RIP Troy Davis....

My blogs are usually prewritten on a weekly basis. I sit down write a few & then schedule them to post every day. As a mom with a ton of things to do I don't have the luxury of time to write every day. Today I'm going to make the time. Yes my regularly scheduled blog posted BUT I feel the need to write something I am PASSIONATE about. Troy Davis.
This man was executed last night at 11:08pm EST.

As a wife, mother, sister, friend I am appalled at this act. Because as much as we don't want to admit it this could have easily happened to my husband, dad, brothers or friends.
Now I'm not saying Mr. Davis was the model of perfection. Yes he had a record. BUT as with all trials his past could not be used against him. We are talking about THIS crime. The crime he was sentenced to death for. The killing of Police Officer Mark MacPhail. According to the laws of the land you are innocent until proven guilty. This guilt has to be proven without any doubt. Yes there are some cases that aren't that clear cut & in some ways this was one of them. Back when this case was originally tried there was "evidence" and witness testimony... But in the years since then witnesses have stated they were intimidated by police into their testimony. I would like to believe that our society is somewhat different that it was 20 years ago. Therefore it seems very logical to me that these people would come forward & admit that they lied & why. The same way it seems very logical that anyone in power to grant him a stay would do so. There is a LOT of doubt on this case & why would anyone want to be responsible for executing an possibly innocent man?? That's basically another MURDER. They interviewed Officer MacPhail's mother last night & she said she needed the execution to happen & that she was ready for justice. As a mother I get it. If god forbid anything ever happened to any of my children I would want the person responsible to pay. BUT only after I KNEW for a fact that they were the person that did it. I wouldn't want anyone imprisoned or killed that didn't commit the crime. Because then that means the guilty party is still out there free and able to do it to someone else's kid.
All in all this was just a way to vent about something that is thoroughly bothering me today. I really hope that they investigate this further & get to the bottom of this. And I hope everyone involved with Troy Davis's execution will be able to live with themselves if it's proven that he was innocent. We need to do better ladies & gentlemen. Raise our children better & fight for the changes that this country needs. Yes we have a black president, but he can't do everything & won't be able to. We all need to do something. Change will happen one person at a time.

Rest in Peace Troy Davis. And may god bless you & your family

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

R.I.P.